Thursday, June 05, 2008

Car wreck

So yesterday I was coming down from vernal and it was raining pretty bad. I was driving a work truck down from vernal so that we can get it detailed and ready to sell. As i was coming down through Parleys the rain slowed down but you could tell that the road was pretty wet. That road can get pretty sketchy if your going fast without it wet so I decided to slow down a bit. About half way down the canyon I moved all the way into the right lane cause there were some people just flying down the canyon and I was in their way. It was a pretty good thing that I did move over cause right after I did a little car came flying across all three lanes and slammed into and over the barrier just passed the East Canyon ovepass. The car came across the lanes so fast it took me off gaurd and I thought I was going to run into it. I slammed on the brakes and watched as the car spun and just about went down the hill onto the golf course thats right there. The car actually stopped right in the middle of the west bound on ramp coming from East canyon. I stopped just after the ramp and called 911 as another guy checked on the kid in the car. He had got out of the car by this time and was kind of stumbling around but seemed to be okay, which was more than I expected.









It was kind of funny because the 911 operator asked me if the kid in the car was hurt and I was still walking from my truck up to where he was, but the other guy that stopped was right there and said that he didn't think so. As I got closer to the car I could see that the kid was bleeding a little bit on his forehead and from his nose but hardly from either place. Right as i got to the car he kind of stumbled over himself and so we figured it would be best if someone came to check him out. So, I told the operator that he might need someone to check him out. In saying this I imagined in my head AN ambulance, as in one. What we got was someting completely different.





About five minutes after I hung up with 911 I saw this fire truck coming up the canyon and I thought "oh, they have EMTs, that works.". So this truck comes up and three people jump out and start checking him out. Then, I kid you not, another full on fire truck shows up with four more people, a suburban marked as some sort of EMT vehicle shows up with two more people, shortly after that a highway patrol car shows up, then an ambulance pulled up and they told them they didn't need to be there and finally another highway patrolman showed up. There had to be fifteen people there! It was pretty funny.


Eventually all the firetrucks and EMTs left and we were left with the two Highway patrol guys. One was getting the info on the crash from the guy that was driving while the other asked me to help him move the car off the road so it wasn't blocking traffic. That part was pretty cool. I got in the car and he pulled his car up to the front and pushed the car out of the road. It was funny too because I could kind of hear what was being said between the other officer and the driver and the driver was tottally trying to avoid answering questions like how fast he was going and what not. Interestingly enough he had called his mom and told her that he was going about 77 which he finally admitted to the officer, at which time he was told that he would be getting a ticket. When he heard this he started to get pretty frustrated. He kept saying "I just wrecked my car....why am I getting a ticket?" The officer explained to him how he had been speeding and beyond that how dumb it was to be going that fast with the wet road and that he had destroyed county property and would have to pay for that too. The driver seemed baffled that he was going to get a ticket and argued a little bit with the officer until finally he said something like, 'look, you can fight it all you want but you'll lose. You're getting a ticket and thats that."


The officer eventually asked me to come over to his car and tell him what I saw and then I was told I could leave. In a way I felt bad for the kid but at the same time kinda serves him right for driving like an idiot.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I knew you'd be the only ones reading my blog, and you are the only ones who know I'm not talking about you! (Because I am talking about everyone else!!!) See you soon! Stephanie

Kyler and Hillary said...

hey simons its me kyler 'elder' cheesman. i was gonna ask why I haven't heard from ya but sounds like your life is on the line and now a life changing experience with a new child! congrats! and since we were companions I think we should be blog friends! kylerandhillary.blogspot.com