Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Accident

Over labor day weekend Jordan and I and some friends went to the St. Anthony Sand Dunes to ride. We took two toy haulers, a bunch of dirt bikes, some fourwheelers, and a pit bike. It was a great weekend. We rode a ton and had a blast at camp.

Monday we went out for a ride in the morning and were gonna spend the whole morning on the opposite side of the dunes. We were hitting a jump right in the middle of the dunes by crapo hill and that is the last thing I remember.

About an hour after we left where we were hitting the jump there was an accident. Kent and I crashed head on going who knows how fast. Unfortunately no one saw the crash, but they all saw the aftermath, Kent and I sprawled on the dunes with our bikes wrecked and neither of us really concious. Kent was completely out and not responding to anything. I was in and out of conciousness and the only thing I remember from that hour or so is telling Jordan that I thought my wrist was broken.





They eventually loaded me onto the back of the white sand rail on a back board and very slowly drove me to the parking lot at Egin lake. Kent was life-flighted directly off the dunes to the hospital at Idaho Falls.



They took me to the hospital in Rexburg where they said that I had a broken neck, broken wrist, brain hemorage, broken nose, shattered eye socket and orbital bone. Basically my left cheek bone no longer existed. The Rexburg hospital was worried that they wouldn't be able to take care of me if I went down hill, because my injuries were so severe, so I was life-flighted to Idaho Falls. When I got to Idaho Falls there wasn't a bed availible in the ICU so I was flown from Idaho Falls to the University of Utah hospital. I spent four days in the ICU and IMCU while the reconstructed my face and nose. They decided that I no longer or didn't ever have a broken neck and that the hemorage in my head had clotted and that the only risk now was of a clot.



My face is now 5 titanium plates that were inserted through my mouth and eye socket. They did a really great job and you really cant even tell now.



My broken wrist was held off for later and we ended up switching doctors. They found another break in my wrist so I had to get a titanium plate and 6 titanium screws.



Good trip right?

No comments: